With 2011 over, it’s time for the 4LOG members to pick their top 5 games of 2011. The following picks are not what game they think should win Game of the Year, but the titles each member had the most fun with.
Rage was my most anticipated title for 2011. I have always had a thing for ID games, and Rage did not disappoint. A lot of people said it was boring, and it was RPG enough, but that’s why I loved it. ID makes the best shooting experience of any developer, and Rage plays like an old school shooter, in a modern day setting. Switching between ammo types to take on different enemies was a blast. The AI was of the whole experience. ID Tech 5 is an amazing engine that makes other engines wishes they looked, and ran that smooth. I can’t wait to see what other games will be made with this engine.
Epic games has unveiled the third DLC pack for Gears of War 3. The Fenix Rising pack will released on January 17th and will feature five new maps, four new skins, and a new leveling system.
Each of the five maps are inspired by scenes from the campaign and are as followed:
- Academy –The lineage of the Fenix family can be traced back along a distinguished line of military officers. Officer training at the Oracle Academy was simply the expected path for Marcus, and he had visited the grounds many times in expectation that he would walk the same path as his ancestors. But it was not to be, and Marcus broke with tradition to be with his best friends Dom and Carlos. Like any number of fine Seran traditions, the Academy is now lost to the invasion of the Locust Horde.
- Anvil – The fortress of Anvegad was called Anvil Gate because its impenetrable walls were forged in the fires of war. Huge cannons sat atop battlements that guarded sprawling walls running the line of the UIR borders. Marcus went there to find Hoffman, and they both thought that Anvil Gate would offer protection from the incoming forces of Locust and Lambent. They were wrong, and little remains other than the ruined shell of a once mighty fortress.
- Depths – The excessive opulence of Azura defied all normal reasoning. But Adam Fenix could see the cracks in the veneer of splendor from the moment he arrived at this underwater processing center. And all that beauty mattered not at all once he was held captive by the Locust. Out of options, he had to find a way to contact Marcus, and finally reveal the truths he’d been keeping to himself for all these many years.
- Escalation – Haldane Hall has been the home of the Fenix family for countless generations. But the only history that matters to Marcus’s are his memories of warm summer evenings spent with his mother, Elain, relaxing in the estate’s gardens. Sadly, all the estate’s history and beauty was lost when the Locust destroyed it in an attempt to kidnap his father.
- The Slab – Convicted for insubordination and treason, Marcus was incarcerated in Jacinto Maximum Security Prison. Known as “The Slab”, this prison is not a correctional facility – it’s a place where Sera’s worst offenders are locked up and forgotten. The inmates are brutal, parole is not an option, and the average life expectancy is about two years. But that was before the Locust showed up, and what couldn’t get worse, suddenly did. Now your life expectancy there is around 2 minutes.
The Fenix Rising pack releases on January 17th for 800 Microsoft points, and will be included for Gears of War season pass owners.
Gears of War 3 is easily one of the best games this generation.
It’s hard to believe that the first Gears of War came out almost 5 years ago. I remember first seeing the title, and being blown away. It was easily one of the most anticipated new franchises this generation. Gears of War 2 released two years later, and while an improvement from the original, but Gears 2 had some problems. Now it’s time for the final game of the trilogy, Gears of War 3. Epic again has made a lot of promises, and it is now time to see if Gears of War 3 lives up to the hype.
Chris played Final Fantasy 7
Garret played the awesome Wii game Muramasa.
Special Guest Kevin played some Resident Evil 2.
Cory played A TON of Gears of War 3
TMT: Should Diablo 3 be on consoles?
Old Republic has a release date.
Crytek making Homefront 2.
We are still looking for entries for our Ten Minute Topic Theme!
The whole 4LOG crew played a lot of Portal2!
Cory and Michael revisted Medal of Honor.
TMT: Gears of War 3 Beta.
More Sony PSN mayhem.
Nintnedo confirms new console at E3.
New Need for Speed Announced!
Microsoft is holding their X11 even this week,but they decided to unveil some big news before it officially kicks off.
Gears of War 3 will hit shelves everywhere but Japan on September 20th. Japan will have to wait till September 22nd.
Microsoft also confirmed some new multiplayer player maps such as: Trenches, Overpass, Mercy, Checkout, and Thrashball. New weapons include the Bayonet Charge, Retro Lancer, Sawed-off Shotgun, the One Shot, Incendiary Grenade, and the Digger Launcher. Old weapons such ass the Classic Lancer and the Hammerburst will be getting some tweaks as well.
Expect to see all of these new weapons and maps in action during the X11 event this week. The beta release dates will most likely be unveiled as well.
I’m glad to see that this game will be coming a lot sooner then November, but coming out so close to ID’s Rage could be a mistake. Only time will tell.